My anecdotal research (see below) affirms my belief that there a different skill set required for optimal success in the “blended” classroom of today. I think we can be giving our students a leg up on the competition by developing our own (educator) skills in this new world.
I found this other article to be pretty informative about this trend a towards a new learning environment and skills:
- Clark College is now using Canvas and Edmodo as I learned from a couple of our Running Start students.
- And some of our recent alumni have also shared their online classroom experiences with me because I started introducing online learning skills in my classes when I started teaching high school eight years ago.
- My son who taught at WSU-Pullman last year (now at Cal State) also taught online courses.
- How Online Classes Level the Playing Field for Minorities and At-Risk Students (brighthub.com)
- Trends in Education for the 2013-2014 School Year (engagetheirminds.wordpress.com)